Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Results Are In!

Based on the results of my poll, out of the 174 people that voted a jaw dropping 67% have tried and failed to lose weight more than 10 times (myself included). Obesity is an epidemic, and this statistic is only proof. I have a couple of theories as to why it is so easy to be fat in this day and age. While I, in no way, support shirking personal responsibility, I believe that there are some things in our society that contribute to obesity. These are my observations:
1. The rise of the fast food chain - In the forties and fifties, there was a mailbox on every corner. It seems like they have now been replaced by McDonald's. I recently heard a statistic that people get fatter in poor economic times. I'm not suggesting that you blame Obama for the spare tire you have hanging around your mid-section, but when you have more month than money, the dollar menu is pretty appealing. It's cheap, it tastes pretty good, and there is something for the whole family. Not to mention, no messy cleanup! Who can beat that right?
2. The technological revolution - What ever happened to going outside to play? When I was a kid and I got into trouble (hard to imagine I know) restriction meant not being able to go outside and play with my friends. I almost didn't survive. Nowadays, kids are more connected than Bill Gates. They have I-pods, cell phones, video games, and laptop computers. They are like miniature high-level executives. They make "friends" online, they can literally sit for hours playing video games, and when they are not sitting on their butts, they can be seen in some social settings Heelin' around on skate shoes, texting the person next to them like a praying mantis on crack! It is like an entire generation of fat introverts with little to no social skills. The part that really kills me is that peers and popular trends totally encourage this lifestyle. It's almost like it is cool to be a fat, lazy, pod person that is afraid of daylight.
3. Weight loss fads - There is no substitution for hard work, and if you are anything like me, when it comes to weight loss, you had to find that out the hard way. Don't believe the hype. There is no magic pill, or vibrating belt that will single handedly help you shed hundreds of pounds while you sleep leaving you looking toned and svelte in the morning. A proper, well balanced diet and exercise is the only way to go. The food pyramid has stood the test of time for a reason.
Before I get off of my soap box, I have a question regarding something I saw today. My family and I went to the Whole Foods Marketplace in Tampa to pick up some organic veggies, and while I was sitting outside feeding my daughter a bottle, this woman comes high-tailing it around the corner sucking down a cigarette. I was sure that she was headed to target since they are upstairs, but wouldn't you know it, she grabbed a cart, mulled over the outside plants while finishing the remainder or her cancer laden smoke stick, and headed into the health food store. I have to admit that I was a little stunned. Not that she was smoking so much, but that she was shopping at a whole food's store after puffing on a cigarette like a locomotive smoke stack. I thought to myself "that seems a little ironic". Does anyone else find this odd?
OK I am going to step down from my podium now. It is way past my bedtime, but before I go, I would like to mention that I am going to start walking again as the weather gets cooler. We will probably start with 2 days a week. Please don't hesitate to email me if you would like to join us for a walk or if you would just like to be held accountable with your own program. I will post more soon. Goodbye for now, and good night.